Bionic Voice Projects
- Master Project
- Announcement date
- 05 Oct 2018
- Research Areas
The electro-larynx (EL) is a hand-held, battery-driven device. It is one possibility to regain speech for people who had to undergo an operation, where the larynx and the containing vocal folds were removed (typically due to larynx cancer). The device is held against the throat and its vibrations are transmitted through the neck. Then the patient can create speech by modulating the energy in the vocal tract.
We are in the process of designing a new speaking aid that improves significantly on the current state-of-the-art. In the scope of this project there are several small tasks that can be carried out at a student project at different levels.
- Integrate a joystick as a User Interface to dynamically choose voice parameters
- Low Bandwidth extension for a personal voice amplifier for users of an electronic speaking aid
- Integrate a bluethooth Microphone in the demonstrator system
- Using piezo transducer for the source signal of a bionic voice
- Singing with a Bionic Voice, e.g. by connecting a keyboard.
Tasks (depending on specific project):
- Review of literature and potential algorithms
- Implementation of algorithms in Python and/or Julia
- Design hardware
- Choose hardware platform
- Evaluate the chosen approach(es)
- Motivation and interest in the topic
- Background in Speech Signal Processing (not for bachelor project)
(e.g. completed Speech Communication 1)
- Experience with either Matlab, Python or Julia
- Only in teams of 2-4 students
Martin Hagmüller (email@example.com or 0316/873 4377)